Business

PAGCOR Privatization Expected to Bring $1.1Billion to the Philippines; POGOs Facing License Revocation

The privatization of a chain of the state-owned casinos proposed by Pagcor’s Chairman and CEO Alejandro Tengco and approved by the Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr is expected to raise PHP60 billion (US$1.06 billion) to PHP80 billion US$1.41 billion) for the country. According to reports, Tengco presented the price range in the House of Representatives on August 14. He reportedly also announced that a special audit commission will audit the Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators (POGOs) to prevent the casino revenue leakage.

Privatization Proposal:

CNN reported on August 14 that the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (Pagcor) is set to privatize 45 of its casinos by the third quarter of 2025. The supporters from the House claimed that overseas operators generate a higher revenue levels than the Pagcor-operated casinos, while the opponents argued that the privatization will represent a sale of ”a goose that lays golden eggs.” Nevertheless, Tengco announced the upgrade of more than 3,000 electronic gaming machines to make the most of the upcoming privatization.

As GGRAsia reports, Tengco said in the House: “The privatisation of the 45 properties of Pagcor will push through in the third quarter, at the earliest, of 2025.” He added that the privatization will solve the Pagcor’s dual-role situation. “Pagcor should purely be a regulator. We are the only one in the world that acts as a regulator and operator. It is inappropriate and unethical because we give licences and yet we also operate,” Tengco reportedly said.

Sell-Off Price Estimates:

The Pagcor leader reportedly referred to the sell-off price range as a ”minimum estimate” expected to grow during the respective bidding process. According to GGRAsia, the sell-off price for the Pagcor Casino Filipino properties had been suggested by the country’s Department of Finance at a range between PHP200 billion to PHP250 billion.

But Mr Tengco reportedly told the House committee hearing that such an estimate included properties that are no longer attributed to Pagcor. Also, the House Representative Joey Salceda reportedly suggested during the hearing that the privatization process may generate up to PHP120 billion (US$2.11 billion) to PHP128 billion (US$2.25billion) for the country.

Sell-Off Prize Range:

The same source reports that the privatization is expected to generate PHP60 billion (US$1.06 billion) to PHP80 billion US$1.41 billion) for the state. Some analysts are reportedly reluctant to approve the estimates considering even the PHP80 billion level ambitious, but the Philippine privately-owned casino sector has expressed the willingness to get involved in the process, as GGRAsia reports.

For this purpose, Pagcor is set to upgrade around 3,000 electronic gaming machines. “The goal is to increase the value of what we will privatise,” Tengco reportedly said in the House.

Profit Distribution:

As reported, Pagcor-operated venues reached PHP15.79 billion (US$280 million) in gross gaming revenues in 2022, with mass-market slot machines reaching PHP8.47 billion(US$150 million). As Asian Gaming Brief reports, Pagcor CEO also said that he is involved in the Department of Finance’s considerations of the future ownership structure of the agency. The agency’s current status of a government owned and controller corporation prescribes payment of around 50% of its profit to the state Treasury.

Audit Decides Status of POGOs:

According to Asian Gaming Brief, Pagcor CEO and Chairman Alejandro Tengco used the August 14 hearing in the Philippine House of Representatives to announce that a special team from Philippines’ Commission of Audit (COA) will act as an auditor for POGOs since Pagcor now needs to arrange for a new third-party auditor. The move has reportedly been driven by the fact that one single POGO that operated for only eight months incurred the tax revenue loss to Pagcor of around PHP2.2 billion ($38.68 million).

Answering the questions whether all POGOs should be shut down, the agency’s Chairman reportedly noted that these operators currently have a probationary status and that they shall reapply for licenses by September 15 to avoid license revocations. Tengco reportedly noted: “This is a one one-strike policy and that if they will continue to be involved in the illegal activities such as credit card scams, crypto-investment scams, love match scams, I will recommend the closure of the industry.”

Related Posts

Report- Mortal Kombat developer NetherRealm is conducting layoffs

Multiple former NetherRealm employees have claimed the studio's entire mobile team has been laid off.

As spotted by TechRaptor, former NetherRealm QA analyst Tony Lazzara shared the news on Linkedin and claimed "a ton of very talented people were put out of work."

"We had live services on multiple titles such as Mortal Kombat Mobile, Injustice 2, and Mortal Kombat Onslaught. I was also affected. Every single person I've worked with on that team is an amazing collaborator, passionate, and very creative," they wrote.

The news was corroborated b…

Matt Bomer Says He Lost Superman Role After Being Outed As Gay

Actor Matt Bomer says he was removed from his role as Clark Kent in a J.J. Abrams-written Superman film–tentatively titled Superman: Flyby–after being outed as a gay man.

Bomer detailed the experience on a recent episode of The Hollywood Reporter’s Awards Chatters podcast, saying “Basically, I went in on a cattle call for Superman, and then it turned into a four-month audition experience where I was auditioning again and again and again… flying out to LA and doing chemistry reads, flying back to New York, flying back to LA to do a screen test, and it looked like I was the director’s choice for the role.”

Perhaps best known for his role as con-artist Neal Caffrey on White Collar, Bomer was a recurring cast member on the popular soap opera Guiding L…

Microsoft Flight Sim 2024 Adds More Servers While Team Works "Around The Clock" To Fix Issues

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 has already become one of the most memorable launches of the year, but probably not in the way that developer Asobo Studio hoped. It debuted earlier this week with a number of bugs and performance issues that have left it virtually unplayable for many. Consequently, Flight Simulator 2024 has been review-bombed on Steam. Now, Asobo Studio is attempting to assure players that the team is working “around the clock” to fix it.

In a statement on X, Asobo Studio noted that Flight Simulator 2024’s server capacity has been increased, but “access issues continue.” Many of the game’s issues stem from Asobo underestimating the servers it would need to keep the game running smoothly Come from malaysi…

Amazon Prime Members Can Claim More Than A Dozen Free Games Right Now

Prime Gaming’s March 2023 lineup features seven PC games, including Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Edition, I Am Fish, and Adios. Once you claim the freebies, they are yours to keep forever. In addition to the free games, Prime members can snag in-game loot for popular titles such as Genshin Impact and League of Legends.

Prime Gaming is continuing its new release format for the free games in March. Instead of giving away every game on the first of the month, Prime Gaming is offering the lineup in waves, with new freebies going up every Thursday.

Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Edition is the biggest name among the March freebies. This updated version of the classic PC RPG launched in 2013, but it still holds up today. It comes with the original game and the great Tales of th…

Barbie's Ryan Gosling On The "Hypocrisy" Of Ken Haters- "You Never Cared"

When Barbie was introduced in 1959, she was sold by herself, but her greatest accessory wouldn’t hit the market until a year later: Ken. The Ken doll was something that Barbie had as a companion, friend, boyfriend, or whatever you wanted him to be. A man without an identity of his own, Ryan Gosling, who plays the main Ken in the upcoming Barbie movie really wants you to care about Ken.

“Ken…his job is beach,” Gosling told GQ, explaining who Ken is to him. “For 60 years, his job has been beach. What the f— does that even mean? And everyone was fine with that, for him to have a job that is nothing. But suddenly, it’s like, ‘No, we’ve cared about Ken this whole time.’ No, you didn’t. You never did. You never cared. Barbie never f—ed with Ken. That’s the point Come from

Corsair's DDR5-6400 Memory Boasts Huge Bandwidth And Density Improvements

Since 2014, DDR4 memory has dominated the PC and console landscape. But its time has finally come, as DDR5 RAM will slowly roll out this year to replace it. Corsair is working on consumer-grade DDR5 itself and explained that you can expect huge speed increases over the current-gen memory.

In a blog post, Corsair explained that it’s working on 6400 MHz DDR5 RAM, which is an absolutely ridiculous increase over, say, the RAM that’s in the most recent MacBook Pro models (clocking in at only 2666 Mhz). For reference, the RAM MHz speed is a measure of how fast it can handle commands and access memory.

This translates to a massively improved memory bandwidth for DDR5-6400 over its predecessors. According to Corsair, its RAM will feature 51 GB/s bandwidth, more than double …